We are now over halfway through 2013 so I thought I should check in and see how I’ve progressed with my New Year’s Goals.
1. Improve my mental image/self-talk. I’ve lost over 100 lbs. and am infinitely healthier than I’ve ever been but the way I think of myself and talk to myself do not reflect reality. This continues to be a struggle for me, as does item number 2. I still see the “fat girl” when I look in the mirror and I’m convinced that pictures that suggest otherwise are just plain wrong. I try to catch myself when I slip (see my shorts freak-out on Friday on my Facebook page) but every day is a struggle and it is very easy to slip back into 30+ years of bad habits.
2. Stop qualifying myself – “I run but I’m slow” is not allowed! I still need to work on this but I think it is improving. I have successfully managed to bite my tongue before adding “but it was super slow” to the statement “I ran a half marathon this weekend” (but I still think it).
3. Do 5 new exercise “things”
- TRX (for core work) I have weekly personal training in TRX. It continues to kick my butt every time and I continue to love it!
- Trail run(s), maybe a mud run? I have done several trail races, including a trail half marathon, and really enjoyed it. I am also signed up for two obstacle course runs this month and, as you know, have been training on the obstacle course at Quantico. Again, butt being kicked but loving every minute of it!
- Improve my swimming skills so I can try a triathlon next year. I’m on target for an August sprint tri.
- Try Pilates or a regular yoga class (for flexibility) I keep buying the Groupons, does that count?? A formal class may not happen this year due to my insane schedule. I honestly don’t know where I would fit it in. I have a couple of yoga for runners books but it’s not the same.
- ? Oh, what will this one be?? Depending on how my marathon goes, I’m SERIOUSLY considering an ultra (50K) in Virginia Beach over Christmas. If that doesn’t work, I’ll find something else fun to do.
4. A sub-30 5K (July?) Not yet, the fastest I’ve managed is 32.
5. Finish a half and full marathon without sweating the time. Three halves done, working toward my first full!
There you have it! I still have a lot of work to do but I’m pretty happy with my progress so far!
Did you set some goals this year? How are they going?