(my apologies to Dr. Kubler-Ross)
1. Denial – I didn’t really have a run scheduled for today! Oh, what’s that written in my scheduled? That’s just an optional run, not mandatory!
2. Anger – Yes, I DO know my big race is only 18 weeks out! Why can’t you just let me take a nap? I’m tired!
2a. Stalling – How can I possibly focus on my form when our son’s play room is a mess and there are still boxes in the garage from 6 moves ago and my spices aren’t alphabetized??
3. Bargaining – Listen, I’ll run some extra miles on Friday! I will double up and hit it HARD all next week!
4. Depression – I know this is a lost cause! Why bother? I’m just a slug! Where did you hide the cookies??
5. Acceptance – Fine, where are my shoes?
6. Gratitude – Man, I’m glad I got my run in! Why did I wait so long??
Some days we make it through all of the stages and some days we eat the damn cookies… But every day is a fresh start!